Trainees Will Learn
• Repairing links
• Installing a variety of findings (safety chains, clasps, j rings, hasps etc)
• How to create a rivet and apply it
• Making and repairing of pendant bail & chain ends (foldovers)
• Differentiate when it is more efficient & cost effective to make or repair findings rather than purchase them Respring clasps
• Making up safety chains Making fish hooks
• Making hasps
• Making fig 8 safety
• Basic Electroplating
• Do’s and don’ts • Tricks of the trade
This module is essential for the modern jeweller as a high proportion of jewellery is plated in the manufacturing process. This means that when one repairs an item by means of soldering, filing, or polishing the plating may be removed as it’s only microns thick. This leaves a different shade or in some cases colour underneath so therefore as part of the repair or restoration the item must be replated again.
The latest machines from Uk based Balco who are affiliated to The Academy will be used in this module! To attend this course no experience is required apart from basic polishing and finishing knowledge.